Sunday, May 3, 2009

My Life In Miniature

I wrote this Friday at work but had to email it to myself to post at home.

I left my wallet at home again today. It happens often. Usually, my small brown informational container is left behind after a night at the bar though not for the most obvious reason. I am too lazy to carry my purse and have to find a spot, make room, whatever for it so I take my cell phone and my wallet instead. I slip them into pockets or hold them. I always (so far anyway) bring them back home. That’s when the problems start. I place them somewhere in the apartment when I walk in to free up my hands to love on the pets. I then promptly forget where I placed them. Eventually, I have to find my phone as it serves as secondary alarm clock. My wallet, sadly, remains forgotten after an evening out.


What struck me today as I realized I didn’t have my wallet was that I didn’t really notice at all. Craig had to tell me that he was looking at it sitting forlornly on the sidebar in the apartment. Oops. My wallet is not my lifeline. I don’t use it during the day. I have no money in it. I don’t go out to lunch on a whim. Budgets don’t really allow for whims. It serves only to protect me from extra fines should I ever be pulled over.


My lifeline, my life in miniature, is a small fabric wristlet. In it, I carry those things most necessary for my daily life. I started using what is essentially a purse within a purse to try and keep the little things together – to avoid time digging around for chapstick or a mirror. As I was pulling something out of the wristlet today, I realized that this little container of things speaks volumes about my life.


What it contains:

  1. a small two-sided plastic mirror

  2. a tube of mascara

  3. a small comb

  4. a mini lint brush

  5. lip gloss

  6. chapstick

  7. a nail file in it’s own little container so it doesn’t scuff other things

  8. a container of anti-bug balm that sooths skin and wards off mosquitos


What it says:

  1. I fiddle with my eyes a lot. I wear contacts and therefore am always trying to get something in or out of my eyes.

  2. I don’t leave the house completely “done.” I’m inevitably finishing my make-up once I get to work. I also have long days where a bit of extra mascara couldn’t hurt.

  3. I now have bangs and have found that a comb is helpful in getting things back in order.

  4. I have animals, plural. Every surface of my life is covered in cat or dog hair. I try to keep it at bay as best I can.

  5. Again – I’m always a bit behind on getting my proper face on so I carry around lip gloss to either complete the look or make myself look less tired after a long day.

  6. I like choices.

  7. I’m scattered enough that my grooming happens at odd times. I break my nails a lot, too.

  8. I live in the South. Spring has arrived and the biting insects are back with a vengeance. If it weren’t so toxic, I’d bath in DEET but I’m an organic-girl-in-training so natural is the better way to go. Also – I’m apparently sugar sweet to those blood suckers so I have to defend myself.


Looking back on all of the information provided by my tiny bag of convenience, I must say I had no idea my wristlet was such a gossip.

No comments:

Post a Comment